Sunday, November 10, 2013

Hostel - Roommates Penang


I went to Penang last weekend, showing a few friends around my parents' birthplace and the country's food paradise. We stayed over at this hostel in the town called Roommates Penang, which I discovered on hostelworld. 

I like this cosy little hostel. It is located very near to all the main wall arts and bicycle renting shops. Apparently they just renovated or revamped their rooms. When I booked, they had four (4) beds mixed dorm. But when we were there last week, they have changed the rooms into eight (8) beds mixed dorm. I think they changed it, that's what I gathered with the little conversations I had with the chinese uncle at the reception. I might be wrong.

I like staying in hostel because it is always a good place to meet good friendly people. The reception of Roommates opens 24 hours, so we didn't have any problem checking in at 12.30am. The man from Kedah at the reception is a very funny and friendly guy, made me felt really welcomed. 

The beds and the efforts they made to ensure that we have some privacy in a dorm are really welcomed and heart-warming. Each and every bed has its own curtains, study light and plug points. Towel and blanket are provided as well. By the way, the rooms are very well air-conditioned, which should be a very big plus point as Penang is hot and humid. One wouldn't sleep well without an air-conditioner.

One side of the 8 beds mixed dorm
Look at the curtains

My bed, with a comfy pillow, personal study light on and blanket

The showers are good. Clean and the water was just right. You could adjust the temperature of the water. I didn't manage to take any photo of the toilets. I forgot about it. 

Breakfast was simple, but satisfying. Although the note at the reception read "2 eggs, 2 toasts and coffee or tea", we are allowed to have more than 2 eggs and 2 toasts. We can choose to have half-boiled eggs or hard-boiled eggs. The chinese uncle at the reception would do it for us. We only have to make our own toasts and pour ourselves the cup of coffee or tea that we prefer.
 
Breakfast

Roommates Penang is definitely an acommodation worth staying and it is definitely on the top of my list of favourite hostels. Did I say it only cost RM30 per night?

The Communal Area

Roommates Penang
Lorong Chulia,
11200 Georgetown,
Penang
Tel: (+6)016-384 8828
 
Click here for their website
 

No comments:

Post a Comment